The Nottingham International Law and Security Centre welcomes submissions for its 2018 conference on the 70th Anniversary of the Genocide Convention, which will take place at the School of Law, University of Nottingham on 9 November 2018. The theme of the conference is the ’70th Anniversary of the Genocide Convention’.
This theme can be conceived broadly. We encourage submissions from multiple backgrounds and disciplines. Proposals taking normative, conceptual, doctrinal, and historical perspectives are particularly welcome. Papers may deal with, but are not limited to:
- The origins and evolution of the concept of genocide and/or the Convention
- The legacy and relevance of the Genocide Convention
- Problems with, and application of, the Genocide Convention
- Genocide and the individual
- Cultural, political and social issues related to genocide
The conference will also include a keynote debate between Professors Olympia Bekou, Marko Milanovic and David Fraser on the concept of genocide’s value, chaired by Dr Cosmin Cercel.